Monday, October 25, 2010

Revitalization, Heavy Stab (an Ode)

Hello all,

Over the last week I had been a little disgruntled and not playing FF that much, well I've been busy as well.  However, today was extremely productive!

rank 30->32 and I have found the best exp spot for likely the 28-33 range!

I suggest making parties of 8-10 and heading over to Tam-Tara Deepcrofts just south of Bentbrush.  You are going to go down and touch the aetheryte then take a quick jog westward and slightly south.  There are wonderful little creatures called Black Efts, on said wonderful creatures i was getting 350-500 SP on about 75% of the kills, there are always those mobs where you will get 0-50, its just the randomness of the system.

Things to note on these mobs:  TURN THEM AWAY FROM GROUP!!  They have a lightning breath that will hit DPS and mages without shell for about 1k, but if you are reading this blog chaces are that you are a tank and you laugh at this miniscule damage! HA-HA!  Other than the PWNbreath they mobs do an aoe bind, this is a waste of their TP and good times for healers.

Lastly, these mobs have the most screwed up aggro rules of any mobs I have ever encountered in frankly not just MMOs but RPGs in general.  They basically aggro you whenever the hell the feel like it because they are that damn cool!  Seriously, sometimes they would load up next to us and be spawned with aggro on us seemingly, other times I could run up, wag my tail, slap it gently on the face, and it thought I was the cat's meow.  Point being:  bring a spare glad or a pug for taunting, maybe even a diverse marauder (lolmar).

Lastly, get use to Tam-Tara guys!  After doing these efts I suggest taking your little group and going down stairs for...... more skeletons!!!!

The bats are also good fun because they heal, giving you more opportunities to skill up!  Just have enough group DPS to actually kill them.

Except for my last thing, thats about it for tonight's entry.  I've been working on preparing gear and once I ding 38 I am going to hit optimal rank on head/gloves/body/pants/feet and be great!


Also, an LS mate is working on making me an Iron Falchion so more awesomeness on the way. 

And to reiterate my "you should wear optimal rank gear" motto, quick notes:  Ripped Haubergeon R30 = 87 def,  Bronze Cuirass R38 = 111def but I receive 86def, so at 32 it is still better to wear Ripped Haubergeon, I will prolly make my switch at rank 35 though.  Cotton Trousers R28 64def, Canvas Trousers R38 84def, I receive 64 def, so I will also be wearing Cotton Trousers for a few more levels!  Again, wear optimal gear unless you have checked that it is an upgrade on the character stat sheet and that you can afford to keep it repaired!!! 

Lastly, A Poem About Heavy Stab, My Favorite Ability.

Oh Heavy Stab, I am sad we were apart so long,
For you can only be bought once the second class quest is done.

Oh Heavy Stab, you cost only a bit more stamina than Light Slash,
And when all is said an done you do a 50% larger gash.

Oh Heavy Stab, you are so good to me,
Because you provide Heavy Slash's amount of Enmity.


(P.S. If It is not obvious, Heavy Stab is superior to Heavy Stab on all counts, save a little less damage per use.  It should replace your "1" button once you're in a group.  Also, in Tam-Tara tonight I would receive SP ups of 85-130 with HStab and 40-65 with LStab, justifying the increased stamina cost, TP generation was about equal considering stamina is roughly 1HStab = 2LStab.)

Truly Yours,
Ventus Invictus, a Saronian Gladiator

11 comments:

  1. Heavy Stab is superior to Heavy Stab

    Eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you fighting mobs that were weak to piercing damage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my experience with these 2 abilities varies between skellies, efts, and buzzards. skellies are blunt weak, efts presumably slash, and buzzards are pierce weak.

    I realize that stab does slightly less on skellies and efts, maybe 110 instead of 120; however, due to the reduced stamina cost it is still be better ability.

    I also still hold to the thought that they are equivalent on the amount of emnity generated, and if there is a difference, it is so slight that using slash instead of stab will not stop a DD from taking hate (which I doubt they will anyways).

    So, bottom line, I'll take my extra stamina from not using slash instead of stab thanks^^.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you said, you love heavy stab. however, i notice you are using a dagger. My question is, you said you'd be changing to an iron falchion soon, but the damage cut for falchion is 10% piercing. what are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my dagger is 1/86k dura I switch to Ash macuahuitl, heavy stab is still the better option. Considering that weapon has no pierce %, it is easy to say that Iron Falchion will be fine for stabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait, even with no pierce %, how much damage does it do? is it on par with light slash? and thank you for writing this blog; because of you, im a better gladiator tank =)

    Blessed Divinity of Wutai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes even with no Pierce it does more damage than light slash

    ReplyDelete
  8. But hm... I can't figure out how to take light slash out of Slot 1. can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. well try /eaction 11 "Heavy Stab"
    /eaction 1 "Heavy Stab"

    this will place havy stab on ur bar at 11 then switch light slash and heavy stab.

    ReplyDelete